Sometimes people that are not involved in the fashion world and, as a normal consequence, do not know about the fashion industry’s professions, ask me about the difference between the image consultant and the fashion stylist. That is why today I have decided to explain.
There are a few types of Fashion Stylists :
- The Personal Stylist (or the Image Consultant) provides advice or assistance to clients on how to improve their image by selecting clothing and accessories that complement their figure and skin coloring and are suitable for their lifestyle. He/ she can provide assistance to normal people or to V.I.P. s (in this case is known as Celebrity Stylists).
- The Corporate Stylist (that is also an Image Consultant) or the Image advises companies on their corporate uniforms, providing talks/seminars to staff on personal appearance, inhouse magazine publications and more.
(conclusion , the image Consultant is a Personal Stylist if his client is a Person or a Corporate Stylist if his client is a Company).
- The Editorial Stylist is concepting and organising the photoshoots for the pages in fashion magazines and other media publications.
- The Commercial Stylist is styling models or actors/actresses for advertising/commercials (selecting the wardrobe items to coordinating the shoot, selecting the location, models, makeup artists and even the photographer).
- The Catalogue Stylist works with designers or businesses on developing promotional materials such as product catalogues.
- The Photographic Stylist is styling any photoshoot and includes editorial styling, commercial styling and catalogue styling.
- The Merchandise Stylist creates displays of products in retail stores or for photoshoots.
- The Wardrobe Stylist works on film, television, concert or theatre productions, developing the look and/or selecting the wardrobe items for the actors/actresses, musicians/performers. Wardrobe Styling is often considered a form of Show Styling.
- Show Styling is organising events and fashion parades. This could involve public speaking/comparing, working backstage at fashion parades, selecting models, organising the running order, selecting garments and/or accessories, selecting the venue, developing the event concept, dealing with the media, photographers, and PR companies.
So, as you see, the world of the fashion styling is rather complex.
And my exact specialization is : Personal, Corporate and Photographic Stylist :-).
Now you know ! :-)